Yes, it can be done. I made my first ever cheesecake…in a Zojirushi rice cooker. I LOVE cheesecake, but only got to enjoy it occasionally. My mother-in-law makes the best, but she is in a different state. The recipes just seem so hard, so I never even tried. However, I was intrigued by the fact that a Zojirushi rice cooker can make cheesecakes. So I got some bricks of cream cheese and followed the instructions in the manual. I already have a food scale so ounces of ingredients are easy to measure. The only thing I didn’t have was “fresh cream”; I used whipped cream. It came out fine. Dressed up with whipped cream and strawberries, it’s delish. I’ll be making it again with more alterations, like more vanilla and less butter to coat the “pan”.
Recipe adapted from Zojirushi:
1 brick (8 oz) of cream cheese (store brand works, too)
1.8 oz sugar
1.1 oz sugar for beating egg whites
3 large eggs (separate egg yolks from whites)
1.1 oz all-purpose flour (sifted…or not)
1.7 oz fresh cream (used whipped cream from a can), fruits
4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.7 oz butter (melted)
Fresh cream, fruits for decoration
Butter to grease pan
1. Grease the inside of the Inner Cooking Pan lightly and evenly with butter.
2. Soften cream cheese at room temp or put in microwave oven for 30 sec at 500W (I don’t really know what that means, and I don’t want a big explosion in my microwave, so I just use a cheese grater and shred the cream cheese into little slivers and spread them out onto a plate and let them sit for about 30-min).
3. Place cream cheese from Step 2 in a bowl and mix with wooden spatula until it becomes smooth. Add sugar and blend.
4. Add yolks one at a time to Step 3. Blend in sifted all-purpose flour, fresh cream, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar until whites begin to hold their shape.
6. Gently fold in meringue from Step 5 to Step 4 with a rubber spatula without overmixing.
7. Pour the batter from Step 6 into the Inner Cooking Pan and hit the bottom of the Inner Cooking Pan with the palm of your hand several times to release the air bubbles in the batter. Place the Inner Cooking Pan into the Main Body and close the Outer Lid.
8. Press the MENU button and select CAKE menu setting. Set the cooking time to 60 minutes (I have the 1 L model) and press START/REHEAT button.
9. When the baking is done, remove the cake from the Inner Cooking Pan and allow to cool. (Be careful as the freshly baked cake is HOT and FRAGILE). I place a plate over the top of the Pan and then flip the whole thing over slowly.
10. Chill cake in fridge. Decorate with whipped cream and garnish with fruits (I used sliced strawberries).